Linux like Windows, iOS, and Mac OS, Linux is an operating system. It is one of the most popular platforms on the planet, Android, is powered by the Linux operating system. An operating system is software that manages all of the hardware resources associated with your desktop or laptop. It manages the communication between your software and your hardware.
¶ Some Useful Commands and tricks...
- top is a good command to analyse the current status of any VM / Server. once you type the command you should normally see the output like this ...
- df is a command to find out free disk space on your machine.
- du is a command to find out disk usage in the current directory or a directory passed as parameter.
- $? is the variable where the exit code of a program or a script is stored in a shell. Normally if it is 0 then it indicates a success.
- history command displays the command executed by the current user on the shell. If you want to execute the same command again then you can use !<number> to do the same.
- tail or tail -f command can be used to looks at the end of the file. tail -f is very useful when looking at log files on linux based system